Non-resident tax forms in Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

chronusfree68

Non-resident tax forms in Canada

Post by chronusfree68 »

Dear Mind Hive:

I am a USC and US resident with some minimal T4 employment income (more than $10,000) with a British Columbia based employer to report. No other relevant Canada sourced income beside this T4. About 16% of my worldwide income comes from Canada and I spent less than 183 days in Canada with no permanent establishment. Should be a pretty simple return, though I tried this in TurboTax but the software generated a tax return which I believe is erroneous in quite a few ways, so I resolved to do this return myself by hand. I just want to clarify whether the packages/forms I've downloaded below is the complete set, and whether I qualify for the some of the federal or provincial deductions listed below.

- I start by downloading package 5013-R, the non-resident income tax and benefit return (T1).
- Since I worked remotely for some days for this T4 employment, I'm filing T777 (Option 1) to claim some de minimis work-from-home expense deduction on both federal and provincial incomes. (I hope I qualify for this?)
- Since I worked in a single province, I filled out package 5010-C (Form BC 428) to calculate provincial income tax.
---> ***Question: Is a non-resident able to avail to the British Columbia tax deduction (If the net income from line 23600 of my return is less than $35,659) on page 3, lines 73-79 of the provincial tax return?***
- I also downloaded package 5000-S8 (CPP contributions and overpayment Schedule 8) and completed part 3 only to determine that I had a minimal amount of overpaid CPP which would be credited back.
- I also filled out 5013-SA (Schedule A, statement of worldwide income) and 5013-SB (Schedule B, allowable amount of federal non-refundable tax credits) to determine that I wasn't eligible for any federal or provincial personal amounts.

It turns out that at the end, I owe some taxes. This seems strange for a non-resident but I guess my BC employer didn't have a way to code me as a non-resident and opted to withhold my wages as if I were a BC resident.

Please let me know if the above makes sense, or if I am missing anything important. Thank you!