Non-resident tax for rent and NR4/NR6 form submission

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Leah12345

Non-resident tax for rent and NR4/NR6 form submission

Post by Leah12345 »

Good evening,

As a Canadian non-resident, I am supposed to pay the 25% of gross income tax for rent. Would appreciate if someone can clarify the steps.

I understand that someone living in Canada should be transferring the payment each month on my behalf.

1) Can they just transfer the amount owed, or do I have to inform CRA about them first?

2) At what point do we file the NR4 form? Can it be done in December, or next year during the tax filing in 2024?

Thank you!!!
nelsona

Re: Non-resident tax for rent and NR4/NR6 form submission

Post by nelsona »

The Cdn "agent" should be withholding and remitting, but they need to set up an account first with CRA.
The agent creates the N44 and gives it to you.
NR6 should be filed asap so that withholding can be reduced to 25% of net income.

If you haven't done it for 2022, then you should file a 216 return to figure the tax and remiot yourself, your agent can't back-withhold for last year.

For this year, the agent needs to submit within 45 day os each month so he may be able to catch up for 2023.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Leah12345

Re: Non-resident tax for rent and NR4/NR6 form submission

Post by Leah12345 »

Thank you very much!!! Very helpful