Delay receiving notice of e-filed US tax return

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

rafa02

Delay receiving notice of e-filed US tax return

Post by rafa02 »

Has anyone e-filed their 2022 US tax return and experienced a significant delay receiving acceptance or rejection fom the IRS? I e-filed 6 days ago and still have not received notice. Perhaps this is the new normal, but I have never waited more than 24 hours, and most years only a few hours.

I have tried to check the status of my return, but apparently, I need a US zip code, which I do not have.
B Stephens

Re: Delay receiving notice of e-filed US tax return

Post by B Stephens »

That's interesting. I've e-filed for a few years and for this year I got a rejection due to some very basic stuff that has not changed over the years. I quadruple confirmed the info in my return and even called IRS to confirm, and it was in their database per normal. Not sure if it's the tax software or the IRS servers having a bad day. May have to end up mailing. If you eventually get a response, post if you can.
rafa02

Post by rafa02 »

An IRS rejection can certainly be a problem with the tax software. Several years ago I received a rejection and went thoroughly over my return, made a couple of minor adjustments(such as a space in the Canada postal code) filed again and received another rejection, again went through my return and tried a third time and received another rejection. I then went to another tax software, filed and accepted first try.
B Stephens

Post by B Stephens »

Thanks for the info. Yes, I thought of that. The cost of the new software would likely be about a wash compared to mailing to US what with the price of expresspost usa these days, not to mention what ever backlogs they're currently experiencing. My software had a recent update and I'm considering a third try. If it rejects (hopefully for the same reason!) I'll have to consider the other routes. Gosh, I remember in the old days just mailing it snailmail, no tracking, no worries. Ain't technology great!
B Stephens

Post by B Stephens »

rafa02 forgot to ask: Do you remember what the reason for the rejection was several years ago?
rafa02

Post by rafa02 »

I do not know why the return was rejected, there was a generic IRS error code, but it did not help. I think some software is simply better for international filers.
B Stephens

Post by B Stephens »

rafa02--Did your return ever get accepted or are you still waiting? I will probably wait to get a second program update with my tax software to make another e-file attempt. After that, the dreaded paper...
rafa02

Post by rafa02 »

I am still waiting. I did e-file again a few days ago (at the suggestion of customer support) but still no word from the IRS. I did e-file a family members return recently, and it was accepted in less than an hour. Apparently something about my return needs further checking.
rafa02

Post by rafa02 »

I received an e-mail informing of an update to the tax software, which was the reason my return was not accepted, and I should submit my return again, which I did, and it was accepted almost immediately. Big relief!
B Stephens

Post by B Stephens »

rafa02--Great to hear, must be a big relief! Can you say which software it was? I'm using H&R Block and am waiting on one more update before I try to resubmit.