T1135 and Term life insurance

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Jonhello

T1135 and Term life insurance

Post by Jonhello »

I recently became a Canadian resident for tax purposes. I have a US TERM life insurance policy. Do I need to file it on the T1135 as it is only a term policy?
Jonhello

Re: T1135 and Term life insurance

Post by Jonhello »

Also from what I understand, US$ funds in a Canadian financial institution (such as Questrade) does not need to be included in the T1135. Is that correct?
Jonhello

Post by Jonhello »

Jonhello wrote:
> Also from what I understand, US$ funds in a Canadian financial institution
> (such as Questrade) does not need to be included in the T1135. Is that
> correct?

I found out this was true. I do need to include my US ETFs from Questrade in the T1135.
Jonhello

Post by Jonhello »

Jonhello wrote:
> I recently became a Canadian resident for tax purposes. I have a US TERM life insurance policy. Do I need to file it on the T1135 as it is only a term policy?

I have searched far and wide and so far I haven't found a answer to this question. Nelson, would you know the answer to this?

I would assume it wouldn't be included as the ACB would be zero as it has no value and cannot be cashed. Rather term insurance is a promise to give my beneficiary a certain amount in the case that I die before a certain date (as long as continue paying my premiums). This term life insurance is personal not from my employer.
Canadian Newbie

Post by Canadian Newbie »

Could you elaborate on your determination that your accounts in Questrade which is supposedly Canadian based are required to be disclosed on the T1135?
Jonhello

Post by Jonhello »

Sorry. i didn't make it clear that the ETFs are from the New York Stock Exchange and in USD.
Canadian Newbie

Post by Canadian Newbie »

Jonhello wrote:
> Jonhello wrote:
> > I recently became a Canadian resident for tax purposes. I have a US TERM life
> insurance policy. Do I need to file it on the T1135 as it is only a term policy?
>
> I have searched far and wide and so far I haven't found a answer to this question.
> Nelson, would you know the answer to this?
>
> I would assume it wouldn't be included as the ACB would be zero as it has no value
> and cannot be cashed. Rather term insurance is a promise to give my beneficiary a
> certain amount in the case that I die before a certain date (as long as continue
> paying my premiums). This term life insurance is personal not from my employer.
I don't think you can assume that the ACB would be zero when you look at 148(9) of the Income Tax Act. From what I get from that section, premium payments would increase the ACB.
Hopefully, someone with direct knowledge will provide the answer.
LJBill

Post by LJBill »

Jonhello wrote:
> I recently became a Canadian resident for tax purposes. I have a US TERM
> life insurance policy. Do I need to file it on the T1135 as it is only a
> term policy?

While on the phone with CRA some week back I actually asked them about this. Listing a TERM life insurance policy is not required. Only those other life products that have a cash value, whole life, etc.

I haven't listed my US Term life insurance policy for either 2021 or 2022.
Jonhello

Post by Jonhello »

LJBill wrote:
> Jonhello wrote:
> > I recently became a Canadian resident for tax purposes. I have a US TERM
> > life insurance policy. Do I need to file it on the T1135 as it is only a
> > term policy?
>
> While on the phone with CRA some week back I actually asked them about this. Listing
> a TERM life insurance policy is not required. Only those other life products that
> have a cash value, whole life, etc.
>
> I haven't listed my US Term life insurance policy for either 2021 or 2022.

Thank you,LJBill