Changing T5 to NR4

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:24 pm

Changing T5 to NR4

Post by jlking75 »

I'm a US citizen & my husband is a Canadian citizen holding a US greencard, and we're living in the US. We sold his Canadian business in 2022 and opened a non-resident tax account to pay the 25% withholding for those profits. He only spent a few weeks in Canada in 2022 to deal with closing the business so will be considered a non-resident for 2022. He didn't close his Non-registered investment account or his RBC checking/savings accounts. We just received T5s for the interest income and capital gains dividends each ~$150. Do we need to contact both companies and have them change the accounts to non-resident accounts and issue a NR4 instead of a T5 so we don't have to file a non-resident tax return?
Posts: 17950
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:33 pm
Location: Nowhere, man

Re: Changing T5 to NR4

Post by nelsona »

No need.

First, your non-registered investment account should be closed. You are not allowed to have a Cdn account if a Resident of the US. The bank accounts are ok.

They typically won't reissue these. If you give the bank your correct residency, they *might* send you NRs next year, but you can figure out the income for yourself in any event.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Search previous posts. Happy Browsing :D
I will be taking may usual break until MAY. In the meantime, please direct your questions to ND.
Post Reply