What to do with a TFSA?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

babingley

What to do with a TFSA?

Post by babingley »

Canadian citizen, moved to the US for permanent work in Dec 2022. I currently have a TFSA that is an actively managed portfolio. I've seen numerous threads detailing the difficulties of holding a TFSA while in the US. I should note that I plan to get a greencard and remain here.

What is my best option? Should I liquidate the TFSA and reinvest here? Or, is it possible to transfer the portfolio to a US broker? Finally, will I need to report this TFSA on my US tax filing if I were to, say, liquidate the account this week?

As always your advice is appreciated.
nelsona

Re: What to do with a TFSA?

Post by nelsona »

You will need to report the existence of the account on your 2022 and 2023 FBAR.

You should be able to transfer the stocks to a US broker, without triggering a taxable event.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
babingley

Post by babingley »

Thanks so much for your reply, nelsona. I appreciate it.
gafizifa

Post by gafizifa »

Loose garments are perfect to wear post shower tan as they permit your skin to retain the arrangement without it focusing on. It is suggest that you stand by no less than four hours prior to showering or https://bronzedbyjulie.com/ doing anything demanding that will make you sweat. Certain individuals essentially visit the tanning salon and afterward return home and rest. This is fine for clear tanning arrangement, yet those that have bronzers could stain the sheets.