Dual US/Canada citizen and US GC/Canadian citizen - live and work in US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

tonyknutson

Dual US/Canada citizen and US GC/Canadian citizen - live and work in US

Post by tonyknutson »

Hi,

I was curious about income tax implications for my wife (dual US/Canada citizen) and myself (US GC/Canada citizen) for working while temporarily in Canada. We both work for a US company. We live in Maryland and own our house here. Pay US federal taxes and Maryland state taxes. Both work remotely now but want to stay in Canada with family while working on Alberta. Thinking two month at a time once or twice a year.

Interestingly, our companies both have Canadian branches.

Thanks

Tony
nelsona

Re: Dual US/Canada citizen and US GC/Canadian citizen - live and work in US

Post by nelsona »

It will depend on several factors: who pays you, whether you are an employee or contractor, how long you stay in canada and how much you earn, but one thing for certain is that you will NOT lose your Cdn non-resident status because of these brief times in Canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
tonyknutson

Post by tonyknutson »

Thanks for the response.....my wife and I are both employees of a US company, paid in USD.

Thinking 1 to 2 months at a time. We have no residence in Canada or any ties beyond some bank accounts and aomw retirement funds before we moved to the US.

Given we bkth work from home, I'm wondering how the CRA or the IRS would even know
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

So, if you continue to work for the US company, then as long as you do not remain in canada for more than 183 days in ANY 365-day period, you are not taxable in Canada.

It is up to you to track and report income accurately, whether IRS/CRA can find out or not.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
tonyknutson

Post by tonyknutson »

Thanks

I was concerned about income thresholds.

I'm going toseek some professional advice to be certain.