Filing for Social Security ... spouses pension?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

2Windy

Filing for Social Security ... spouses pension?

Post by 2Windy »

Can I please get confirmation on something..

My husband filed for his Social Security (US expat), we live in Canada I have never worked in the USA. I will collect an Ont. hospital pension, CPP & OAS.

On his form it says .... Spouse covered under foreign social security? and he said yes.

I believe he should have said no, info I glimpsed on here makes me believe the pensions don't qualify but can I get confirmation on this and a clear reason why these pensions would not qualify? I would like to correct this ... if I am right ... now rather than when I would apply in future for spousal.

thank you for your time
exPenn

Re: Filing for Social Security ... spouses pension?

Post by exPenn »

Qualify for what? The honest answer is yes. Your CPP (not OAS or other pension) would be considered foreign social security. In any case, your CPP should have no effect on his Social Security. HIS CPP and any company pension he receives will lower his Social Security because of the 'Windfall Elimination Provision" (WEP). If you never worked in the States nor paid any SS taxes, you should still apply along with your husband. You are eligible to receive a Spousal Benefit of 1/2 of what your husband ultimately receives. Moreover, there is no reduction in your spousal benefit due to your CPP and pension.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

At the time HE applies for his SS, they normally also look into YOUR SS eligibility , for future planning. Normally, a the SS YOU would have earned on your own, and the spousal ammount are both calculated , and you get the the larger one, if you chooose to take it, As ExPenn says, while HIS SSA will be reduced by WEP, your spousal portion will not be reduced by WEP, because his already has been.

Now, you do not have to apply for SS at the same time as him. You may not be age-eligible yet, for example, or you may simply wish to wait.

Any foreign (ie. CDn pension) must be reported to SSA when you apply for Social security.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
2Windy

Post by 2Windy »

Thanks for the info ... so I will have to report my CPP but not my other provincial pension or OAS. I didn't think I had to report anything as from what I understand the spousal pension would not be reduced by either (WEP or G one). So ... I will report it when the time comes. Thanks for your help ... as always.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I repeat: Any foreign pension and CPP must be reported to SSA. OAS is not a work-related pension, so is not included.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement ... r/wep.html

"If you are eligible for a pension based on work you did for a federal, state, or local government, a nonprofit organization, or in another country and you did not pay Social Security taxes, this pension can affect the amount of your Social Security benefits. We refer to this reduction as the Windfall Elimination Provision, or WEP."

It may not IMPACT you specifically , but it must be reported.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Toyboys

Post by Toyboys »

useful information for those who are new to this
2Windy

Post by 2Windy »

I am thinking of applying for spousal benefits now. I will report my pensions and CPP. I have never worked in the USA. Canadian citizen only.

Will WEP be deducted in this instance?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It shouldn't. WEP applies only to those receiving "regular" benefits, ie. who have qualified for their "own" benefits with 40 quarters of contributions.

It does not affect spousal benefits (other than that the working spouse would have been affected, reducing their own SS, and thus the spouse's) nor those have less that 40 quarters and who get SS only because of totalization agreement