Working in the US, doing short term lease in Toronto

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

lgbgbt88

Working in the US, doing short term lease in Toronto

Post by lgbgbt88 »

I'm a Canadian citizen working in the US on H1B. I recently bought a place in downtown Toronto, thinking to hire a company to manage my property for short term rental.

The issue is that I will need to apply for a short term rental permit and to do so, I will need to demonstrate this is my principal residence in Toronto.

My question is that can I make it my principal residence in Toronto without complicating my tax situation. When I left Canada and moved to the US a few years ago, I had to prove I'm a nontaxable citizen of Canada to avoid paying salary tax to Canada. If I now establish this property as my principal residence, does it mean I will need to start paying salary tax to Canada again?

Thanks
nelsona

Re: Working in the US, doing short term lease in Toronto

Post by nelsona »

What proof are they asking for principal residence?
If you are renting out this place, how can it be your principal residence. Eve n if you lived in canada this would be a problem, no?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D