CPP/OAS reporting on 1040

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

SergeP

CPP/OAS reporting on 1040

Post by SergeP »

If I am a CPP/OAS recipient living in US do I just combine these payments with my SS and report them on the same line of the 1040 form (with only 85% taxable)?
Serge
nelsona

Re: CPP/OAS reporting on 1040

Post by nelsona »

yes
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Can you tell us what the impact of WEP was on your SS? Experiences.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
SergeP

Post by SergeP »

I applied for SS when was a Canadian resident receiving CPP. The WEP affected my SS amount - it was reduced by 50% of my CPP amount at that time (converted into US$). As CPP got indexed the next year I called SS office and ask if my WEP amount would be adjusted accordingly. They told me that I did not need to call because the WEP amount would stay the same for all following years. Now I am moving back to US. This move won't probably affect that initial WEP amount.
Serge
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Correct. SSA does WEP once, during the first month you receive both SS and CPP, and that is it. No need to approach SSA on that anymore.

How many years did you work in US?
SergeP

Post by SergeP »

I worked in US for 11 years and earned 40 credits for SS.
Serge