Dual US/CAN: TFSA beneficiary cause any PFIC issues?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

fangle

Dual US/CAN: TFSA beneficiary cause any PFIC issues?

Post by fangle »

Dual US/CAN resident in Canada: My Canadian parents have an appt coming up to do their wills. They will take the advice given here to avoid naming me, the dual child, as an executor since there are non-dual children who can do it. Thank you.

Question: currently with their financial institution, each parent has named a child as beneficiary to their TFSA, presumably after naming each other. Does being a beneficiary to a TFSA create potential PFIC issues for me? Would it be better not to name me as a TFSA beneficiary?
nelsona

Re: Dual US/CAN: TFSA beneficiary cause any PFIC issues?

Post by nelsona »

It does not cause a problem until they die. At that point, since you aren't the spouse) the TFSA will end and you will get the proceeds (not the investments, which will have been sold) so that will not be a problem.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D