Canadian Land Sale

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Tavia

Canadian Land Sale

Post by Tavia »

I’m a family shareholder in a Canadian farm corporation. I ama US CITIZEN and Resident. I have only filed US tax returns for the past 25 years. My portion of the Canadian income from the land is $500,000. How do I declare this income? Do I file a Canadian tax return even though I’m not a Canadian resident? (I am a Canadian citizen). Or do I just file it as foreign income on my US tax return?
nelsona

Re: Canadian Land Sale

Post by nelsona »

You MUST file a Cdn return (for the province the land is located in) AND you need to ALSO declare the sale as a non-resident within DAYS of the sale or you face daily penalties.
See form T2062.

You also must declare the income on your 1020, and IRS will give you credit for the CDn tax you pay.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Re: Canadian Land Sale

Post by nelsona »

You need to speak to the lawyer handling the sale and mention you are non-resident.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D