W-9

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

okinawafl

W-9

Post by okinawafl »

May I know if anyone with TN visa working in U.S. (more than 183 days) has signed theW-9 form.

TD bank Canada also ask me to sign W-9 form when I called them and update them my u.s. address (May i know the reason they need it)

In this W-9 form, box 4 Exemptions --- may I know what it is? shall I leave it blank?

Also, if I move later on, do I need to sign a new one? if the U.S. government will mail anything to me based on W-9 address?

Thanks so much for sharing.
nelsona

Re: W-9

Post by nelsona »

W-9 is to prove to the bank that you are a US person, and are not subject to backup withholding. It is normal procedure for any bank/investment company dealing with a US person, inside US or outside.
You are an individual, no need for Box 4.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
okinawafl

Post by okinawafl »

thanks nelsona.

May I also ask US person means? I am working in U.S. with TN visa and stay more than 183 days a year.
In the W-9 form, "Part II #3" stated "I am a U.S. citizen or other U.S. person (defined below).." when I look at p.2, it U.s. resident alien is one of the definition of a U.S. person.

Am I U.S. person and a U.S. resident alien as well? Is Alien means a person who become tax resident in U.S. through passing the SPT (not Citizen and not Green card holder)?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You are a US person
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ND

Post by ND »

"W-9 is to prove to the bank that you are a US person, and are not subject to backup withholding. It is normal procedure for any bank/investment company dealing with a US person, inside US or outside."
This is NOT the reason Cdn banks are requesting W-9> The requests are FATCA driven. The banks will snitch to IRS. Then, for example, when IRS issues a notice to a US person Cdn resident about delinquent 1040s and FBAR, such person will be disqualified from IRS IRS offshore streamlined filing amnesty program.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Agreed. Bank is required to ask, and client is required to provide. Price of doing business.
Btw, our poster is in the US, so subject to IRS regs in any event.