RRSP withdrawal

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

raj

RRSP withdrawal

Post by raj »

I need to report my RRSP withdrawal to IRS. Reading this forum I summarized the following as an example:

RRSP value is: 110k USD
RRSP value when I left (Emigrate) from Canada to US:100k USD
CRA withhold: 25% of 110k= 27.5k

In TaxAct:

- Will report Taxable pensions and annuities:
Foreign pension received= Gross RRSP value= 110k
The taxable amount of foreign pension= Actual gain after I left Canada= 10k

- Will report as General category income for 1116 (Foreign tax credit)
Foreign source other income including interest: 10k
Other foreign taxes paid or accrued in U.S. dollars: 27.5k

Can you please advise, if I am on the right track?

Thanks in advance.
nelsona

Re: RRSP withdrawal

Post by nelsona »

Yes, except that because you only had $10K of US taxable income, using form 1116 will likely give you only 2-3K back as a credit, if that
You may wish to use the foreign tax as an itemized deduction on schedule A (along with other deductible items) which would probably reduce your taxes more that the credit.

In any event, try it both ways and see.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
raj

Post by raj »

Thanks, Nelsona. I got a better return with a foreign tax credit with my actual RRSP amount of 37k (100k was just an example).

I accidentally plugged in the Gross RRSP amount as income in the form 1116 along with 25% CRA tax. This gave me an unexpected huge return. Wondering why I shouldn't use the gross income instead of taxable income in the form 1116?

Thanks again.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Because the amount of foreign INCOME is not the gross amount, unless you are reporting the gross amount as 100% taxable.

Its the taxable portion that goes into 1116.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D