First Time TN Opportunity and Need Help With Scenarios

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sriramkb

First Time TN Opportunity and Need Help With Scenarios

Post by sriramkb »

Hello,

I received an offer from am American Company and am planning to move to the US soon. I need help with couple of questions I have to make a decision and appreciate the help.

1. The role is completely remote. So, can I get my TN, complete my on-boarding formalities and come back and work in Canada for a few weeks to months? The main reason is I have a family here (Wife and Kid) and I need to make sure I have enough time to sort financials at home in Canada before leaving to the US.

2. My wife has a remote job in Canada and her employer is okay for her to work from the US, but will this be a problem for her from her taxation perspective for either countries? US doesn't allow her to work under TD visa but the job is in Canada and on Canadian payroll, will that be fine?

3. Can I hold a remote job in Canada with Canadian payroll along with my TN Job with US payroll?

I understand there will be a lot of tax implications on the Canadian side but I am interested in finding out if this is legally allowed from a tax perspective?
nelsona

Re: First Time TN Opportunity and Need Help With Scenarios

Post by nelsona »

These are US immigration issues. Best discuss on a TN forum (not the one on this board which is inactive).

If you live in canada as you describe, ALL your income will be taxed in Canada, and the work done in US will be taxed in US, with CRA giving you credit for the US taxes.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
sriramkb

Re: First Time TN Opportunity and Need Help With Scenarios

Post by sriramkb »

Thanks for the response Nelsona, I will ask in a immigration forum. Appreciate your help.