Green Card Commuter taking up residence in USA

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

fragman

Green Card Commuter taking up residence in USA

Post by fragman »

I am a Canadian citizen, a Canadian resident, and also a US Green Card holder with commuter status. I am considering moving to the US permanently and converting my C2 Commuter Green card to a standard C1 Green Card. Currently married, at the early stages of separating from my wife, no minor children. I have the following questions:

1.) If I move now but my divorce won't be finalized for a year what will CRA consider to be my departure date from Canada for my final tax return? Will still having a spouse in Canada (even through we are separated and living apart) mean that I have a substantial presence in Canada until I'm legally divorced, or will the departure date simply be when I take up physical residence in the US?

2.) Are there any tax liabilities if I sell my primary residence in Canada and buy a house as a primary residence in the US before the date the CRA considers my departure date, or would I be better off renting until I get the clearance from CRA that I have departed Canada in order to avoid any deemed disposition departure taxes on that US property?

Thanks.
nelsona

Re: Green Card Commuter taking up residence in USA

Post by nelsona »

1. It will be the day you move to US. Even if you remained married, this would be the case, by treaty.
2. It would be simpler if you wait, but it will be YOU who decides by your actions when you become non-resident, not CRA.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D