10140X with wrong SS#

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

cat

10140X with wrong SS#

Post by cat »

I noticed an error on the 1040s in my son’s SS# for both 2019 and 2020. His tax guy suggested he include copies of his 2019 & 2020 returns with the corrected SSN when sending in this year’s 2021 returns but on the IRS website they ask for each amended return in a separate envelope.
Also on the website in the 10140X general instructions it says:
Complete a new or corrected return (Form 1040).
Across the top of the new or corrected return, write “Amended.”
Attach the new or corrected return to the back of Form 1040-X

Do you think I need to include both the corrected return and the 1040X if the only info changing is the SS# ?
Is a 1040X for each year with the corrected SS# and a cover letter enough?

Has anyone ever had to amend a 'non-mathematical' error before on a mail-in return?
nelsona

Re: 10140X with wrong SS#

Post by nelsona »

The instructions you are pointing to are specifically for those who had filed 1040NR, so do not apply. One never sends multiple years of tax returns or amendments together, unless specifically asked by IRS.

Simply file a 1040X, with correct SSN where it should be, and write in the explanation : "no changes to income deductions or credits. Filed to correct so-and-so SSN."

You might want to attach a copy of his SS Card, but nothing else.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D