Canada CRA Departure Date

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

stressfulauditor

Canada CRA Departure Date

Post by stressfulauditor »

I received a letter from the CRA asking me for supporting documentation of my departure date of June. I am a Canadian citizen, was (1) studying on an F1 visa in Jan-June and (2) Got an h1b and started working for US-based employer July-Dec.

My CPA filed me as a US non-resident and Canada departure return. For Canada, the CPA told me that I didn't need to report ANY income from US-employment on my return (income $0) and also did not include a signing bonus I received in as student Feb last year before my official departure date on my return of June 1st. Now the CRA is asking for evidence of my departure date but my confidence in my CPA is very shaky. Please help thank you
nelsona

Re: Canada CRA Departure Date

Post by nelsona »

So, for 2021 you are considered an EMIGRANT of Canada, and you indicated this by entering a departure date on your return. Technically you will only be considered non-resident for 2022. Your CPA was correct about your salary, however ALL income received before June 1 must be reported on your Cdn return, including the bonus.

Presumably, you have few ties in Canada, but were not allowed to be a US tax resident prior to this date due to your F1 immigration status, which prevented you from claiming days of presence in US.

So, now, with your H1-B, you can be considered US tax resident, and so, sending them a copy of your H1-B approval, with the start date as well as perhaps an employment letter from your firm confirming you did start, will be ample proof that you are now a US tax resident. You could also include a copy of your lease in US, and your US driver's license. That should be sufficient.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D