Line 10400 – Other employment income: Foreign employment income

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

frm2005

Line 10400 – Other employment income: Foreign employment income

Post by frm2005 »

CRA says:

"If the amount on your United States W-2 slip has been reduced by contributions to a 401(k), 457, or 403(b) plan, US Medicare and Federal Insurance Contributions Act (FICA), you must add these contributions to your foreign employment income on line 10400 of your Canadian return. "

What box on W-2 do they refer to? How can I determine the above?

Box 1 seems to be approximatively the gross-pay I received so this I should put on on line 10400, shouldn't I (i.e. the amount has not been reduced by any contributions, and I did contribute the maximum allowed to 401k)?
nelsona

Re: Line 10400 – Other employment income: Foreign employment income

Post by nelsona »

I'm quite sure your wages have been reduced by your 401(k) contributions. That is how W-2 works.

Read the back of your W-2 and you will see which box has your 401(k) contributions, and other items that were deducted from box 1. Add those back into the box 1 value.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
frm2005

Re: Line 10400 – Other employment income: Foreign employment income

Post by frm2005 »

thank you