US citizen - Board member and signing officer for Canadian not-for-profit corporation

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sarahp

US citizen - Board member and signing officer for Canadian not-for-profit corporation

Post by sarahp »

I'm a US citizen living in Canada (and also a Canadian citizen, but that's less relevant) and am currently a member of the Board of Directors for a local (Canadian) charity, which is incorporated as a not-for-profit corporation. I've been asked to take on an officer position on the Board next year, which would make me a signing officer for the organization. I have been trying to research my obligations as a US citizen and any potential risks to the organization - I don't want to put them in a bad position just because I happen to be American.

I think I would need to report this on Part IV of my FBAR as an account where I have signature authority but no financial interest - is that correct? I cannot find anything in the instructions on form 8938 relevant to this situation - do I understand correctly that I don't have to report anything there? Are there other considerations that I've missed?

Thank you in advance for any advice!