Proof of Payment/Final Tax Bill of NY State Tax

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

arcticether

Proof of Payment/Final Tax Bill of NY State Tax

Post by arcticether »

I was hit with an audit from the CRA for 2020 taxes and they asked me to send in a "final bill" / tax transcript from my NY state taxes. However NY State tax doesn't do this and there isn't anything on their website that is able to show a final tax bill. I sent in a picture of my processed check but they said it isn't sufficient, Any help? Thank you
okinawafl

Re: Proof of Payment/Final Tax Bill of NY State Tax

Post by okinawafl »

I was reviewed by CRA for FTC. from the letter from CRA, proof of tax paid supporting doc showed transcripts, proof of payment...
I remembered I got Fed transcripts and for States, I provided copy of my us return and a copy of my bank statement (which showed the funds from the state and the amount agreed to the New York tax return. I submitted with a letter showing the calculation (tax withhold - tax refund = tax paid) with these proof and CRA later sent me a letter said my FTC claim was accepted.

I am surprised CRA not accept proof of payment as you mentioned. does CRA audit you FTC as well?
Did the letter you intially received from CRA shows acceptable proof? Did you letter provide you a phone no. (other than 1 800 959 8281)?
Maybe you can also call the number.

Let me know if you need more info. and I can ask my cousin too as he may have the similar experience.
okinawafl

Post by okinawafl »

sorry forgot to mention, you may want to check if your NY tax WH = NY tax payable minus the refund from NY.
I think if this is not match, then, CRA may want more info to verify.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

For my state, along with a copy of my return (own copy, not transcript from state) I showed the state withholding from my W-2, and the refund issued to my bank, and it was accepted. Proving an extra payment however seems to be more difficult
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Numbersman61

Post by Numbersman61 »

For 2020, I had tax payable to the state of Arizona for gain on sale of condo. CRA requested copy of State return plus copy of check cashed by the State. This was acceptable to CRA.