ITIN for wife who is on a TD Visa

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

TomB

ITIN for wife who is on a TD Visa

Post by TomB »

We recently moved to the US, and A. I am on a TN Visa whereas my wife is on a TD and not working. Wondering if there is a way to get her an ITIN now rather than waiting until we file our taxes. Looking to open a non-registered account in her name and that's one of the things we'll need to do that but don't want to wait until Apr 2023.
nelsona

Re: ITIN for wife who is on a TD Visa

Post by nelsona »

Pretty simple. On W-7, she checks box (h) and uses Exception 1(d) as the reason.

Then go through the certification process.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
TomB

Post by TomB »

Hi Nelsona, can you please clarify? Do you mean Reason 1(d) or Exception 1(d). Reason 1(d) sounds more in line with my situation. It's called 'Dependent of U.S. citizen/resident alien'. Exception 1(d) reads "Individuals who are receiving distributions during the current tax year of income such as pensions, annuities, rental income, royalties, dividends, etc., and are required to provide an ITIN to the withholding agent... for the purposes of tax withholding and/or reporting requirements."

If so, according to W-7, if I select 1(d) as the Reason, it says "If you check box b, c, d, e, f, or g, you must file a U.S. federal tax return with Form W-7 unless you meet one of the exceptions (see instructions)." I'd prefer to select Reason 1(h) Other, which if I'm interpreting correctly, means I can submit the form at any time and without a tax return, but I don't see any Exception that matches my situation. I can't tell if when selecting 1(h) Other, I have to use one of the Exceptions listed or if I can use my own, unique to my situation.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Please re-read what I said.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D