Capital loss from previous years

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

erfan1985

Capital loss from previous years

Post by erfan1985 »

Do I need to enter capital loss from my last year's CRA Notice of Assessment anywhere in order to forward? or it is automatically forwarded to the future years?
nelsona

Re: Capital loss from previous years

Post by nelsona »

It is automatic, but there should be a place in the software to list it, so that you won't have to go searching. Populate the capital loss history if it hasn't been doing so in the past

It is also on your "My account" for CRA.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
erfan1985

Post by erfan1985 »

CRA has it but I cant figure out where to enter it in Ufile. I think I m fine just submit it the way it is now? CRA will keep that loss history for me?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

yes, as they clearly have done in the past. You will have to enter it at some point if you want to actually use it on your taxes.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
erfan1985

Post by erfan1985 »

Ok I dont want to use it this year. So I m not entering it anywhere. Let s see what happens!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Since this is a cross-border site, I'm sure you have US tax filing obligations (otherwise why would you be on this site).
Remember that if you have cap losses on the US side, you must use them each year, even if you are not taxable at $3000/year. If you do not clim it, you can't carryforward that $3000.
erfan1985

Post by erfan1985 »

Thanks for pointing this out. I only have Canadian loss. Nothing on the US side yet.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Im saying you need to report cap gains and losses on BOTH returns.
erfan1985

Post by erfan1985 »

But this is from previous years. not from this year. I only have it on my CRA's NOA from last year. Where do I enter it for IRS?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Oh, doies this mean you just moved to US in 2021?
erfan1985

Post by erfan1985 »

I moved to US in jul 2020. I had losses from 2020 and that was only due to deemed disposition of property for CRA. On my NOA of 2020 I have these losses mentioned. during 2021 I had no loss/gain to report to anyone. All I had is 2020's losses in Canada. Should I report this to IRS?? or it s not relevant?!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No, its not relevant, and there is no need to file a CDn tax return either.