Workcation in Canada as US resident

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

bluesky

Workcation in Canada as US resident

Post by bluesky »

Hi there, I intend to spend 4-6 weeks this year on a workcation in Canada. I am a Canadian citizen, US resident. Are those 4-6 weeks subject to Canadian income taxes if I'm normally a US resident? If I'm taking vacation days with my US employer for 2 weeks (still getting paid a salary) does that change the result?
nelsona

Re: Workcation in Canada as US resident

Post by nelsona »

Who is employing you and how much will you make during this time?
There are treaty time and payment limits which allow you to avoid taxation on wages or contract income earned in the non-resident county.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
bluesky

Post by bluesky »

It's a US employer (management consulting).
Salary could be up to USD20k at a time, up to 40k in total perhaps.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

So, as long as you do not exceed 180 days in canada at a time, your Cdn-based income will not be considered taxable in Canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D