Forgot ECI Statement in 2020

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

goblemark

Forgot ECI Statement in 2020

Post by goblemark »

Hi,

A couple of questions for you..

I filed my 1040NR for the first time last year for a rental property (with a NOL). I forgot to attach the statement for the ECI.... On Schedule OI I checked off the box that indicated this was "the first year you are making an election to treat income from real property located in the US as effectively connected with a US trade or business". However I did not attach a statement to actually make the election.

I imagine the IRS would then have issue with me entering my taxes on a Net Rental Basis - but I have not received any correspondence. What steps do I need to take to submit this election for 2020 now (or do I just do it this year...)?

Second question... On my Form 4562 (Depreciation) for 2020 I indicated the Basis for Depreciation to be the full house price, but I jointly own it with my girlfriend. I did half the Depreciation Deduction on my Schedule E (so my expense calculation was correct) - Do I need to file an amendment to half the depreciation price in Form 4562?

Thanks for any advice