1099-B in the year of transfer of stocks from US to Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

pokka

1099-B in the year of transfer of stocks from US to Canada

Post by pokka »

Hi All,
I moved from the US to Canada last year.
I transferred all my stocks from my US broker to my Canadian broker, after which I sold a few stocks (and a few options expired).
The Canadian broker issued me a 1099-DIV for the dividends that I got.
They did not give me a 1099-B for the stock sales.Should they? How will they know the cost basis and purchase dates etc?
Thanks!
nelsona

Re: 1099-B in the year of transfer of stocks from US to Canada

Post by nelsona »

cap gains are generally the responsibility of the tax payer, as they rarely know or keep track of the cost basis. That is your job.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
elgoog

Post by elgoog »

You will have to go into your past stock statements to get the cost basis for those stocks. If your Canadian broker doesn't have that, you will have to request it from your US broker.

Remember to use the BOC conversion rate on the settlement date.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

... and on each purchase date
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
pokka

Post by pokka »

Many thanks!

(On the purchase date .. for me I guess that is the day of moving from the US to Canada for the stocks that I transferred).

Would any of you be willing to share a spreadsheet template (or at least the column names :) ) that they use for keeping track of their stocks?