France-sourced dividends and Forms 5000/5001

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

MsTunnelCoin762

France-sourced dividends and Forms 5000/5001

Post by MsTunnelCoin762 »

Hi all, in the interest of being diversified (although I suppose additional purchases of a foreign equity index fund would have been better perhaps, but that is an issue for another forum), I have some French stocks (acquired last year) and the withholding far exceeded the treaty rates (whether US/France or Canada/France, not quite 30% withheld... The max credit I understand therefore on Form 1116 is 15% of the dividend amount and likewise for the FTC on the income in Canada... Wondering if anyone has submitted (or knows of anyone who has submitted) Forms 5000/5001 to CRA in the past and, if so, what was the turnaround time over all in terms of receiving the excess withheld from the French payor (or French taxing authority if that is the case)...