Withdrawing from TFSA as Non-Resident in US & Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

yeezy_szn

Withdrawing from TFSA as Non-Resident in US & Canada

Post by yeezy_szn »

Similar to this question viewtopic.php?f=2&t=472339&sid=4a0ce02f ... a188ec0722, I am a Canadian citizen living and working in the US. I left Canada in 2019 and am currently working in US as a non-resident under a F1 visa. I'm technically a non-resident in both countries I believe - for the US, I'm on an F-1 visa so I am considered a non-resident, and for Canada I don't have any housing ties or family ties (though I do have secondary ties in the form of my bank accounts that I haven't liqudated yet).

I am trying to withdraw money from my TFSA so I don't have to pay taxes on it when I eventually become a US resident for tax purposes (when I switch to H1B hopefully sometime in the next few years). My confusion is my Canadian bank is requiring me to fill out a W9, which states I am a US Person even though I am not. I spent a lot of time on the phone with them asking if there is some equivalent nonresident form I can submit but they said no, only W9 will do otherwise I'll have to pay 24% withholidng tax.

I saw the advice in the other post is to submit the W9, but I'm wondering what are the implications of this? I still plan on filing as a non resident in US and not filing in Canada since I have no Canadian income and am considered a nonresident there too, so I worry that stating I am a resident on the W9 conflicts with filing a 1040NR.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide!