US Resident Alien moved to Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

vr759818

US Resident Alien moved to Canada

Post by vr759818 »

I moved to canada in march of 2021 and continued to work remotely on US payroll until mid April. Last paycheck was received in may.
I started working in Canada in May and received some dividends in US trading account during that time. I moved these stocks to a canadian firm thereafter where it continued to receive dividends. I am a citizen of Australia and was in US on a work visa and moved to Canada on a permanent residency approval.My wife has exact same circumstances Should I be filing 1040NR with 1040 as statement or other way around. Am I supposed to file FATCA ? what is the reporting threshold in my case? Should we be filing MFJ or MFS? we had been filing MFJ previously
nelsona

Re: US Resident Alien moved to Canada

Post by nelsona »

If you file 1040NR, it will be separately, by force.

Most in your situation look at filing a regular 1040 when leaving, as it allows you to file jointly, and use the standard deduction. You would report all world income for the year, and use either Foreign earned income exclusion and/or Foreign tax credits to eliminate any US tax on your foreign income.

1040NR would be simplest, but might yield higher tax.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
vr759818

Post by vr759818 »

Thanks. What other stuff do I need to attach if doing MFS with 1040NR? What information goes in the 1040 statement? Is schedule A and OI required?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The 1040 portion contains all world income until the date you leave.
The same info is then included in your 1040NR, which is your official return for the year, you fill in whatever is required to establish your right to file 1040NR (treaty, etc).
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Betfner20

Post by Betfner20 »

When searching for high-quality marijuana seeds [url=https://greenglowcannabis.com]https://greenglowcannabis.com[/url] in the USA, it is essential to consider certain factors to ensure a successful cultivation process. First and foremost, genetics play a crucial role in determining the quality and characteristics of the plants.