U.U.S. tax - Receive prior year self-employed income in 2022

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

okinawafl

U.U.S. tax - Receive prior year self-employed income in 2022

Post by okinawafl »

Sorry I wasn't sure if I posted my question last night successfully so just repost it now.

I left from Canada to U.S. in Sept 2021 for a job under TN visa. But before I left Canada, I had a freelance that I issued invoices from May - Aug 2021. I stop doing any more freelance then.

but unfortunately, the client still has not paid two of my invoices (cad $3,500) and they said they may pay me this year if they have money.

If they pay me this year, would this become my income for U.S. tax purpose for both federal and state tax.
and since I am on TN visa, am I allow to receive this payment this year while I am still under TN visa?

your help is much appreciated.
nelsona

Re: U.U.S. tax - Receive prior year self-employed income in 2022

Post by nelsona »

Answered in your other post
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
okinawafl

Post by okinawafl »

Sorry nelsona.
i am not familar. I didn't work for anyone except my employer since sept 2021 when I arrived u.s.
the 3.5k if the client pay me back really for the old invoice issued before I left canada (job did and invoicesissed july and aug in 2021).
May I ask if this will be treat as my income this year if they really pay me back.

I am sorry to ask again.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You already wrote a post on this, Please use that post. I have already answered you there
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D