How to get refund on Canada Private Pension withheld tax with rental property return

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

NewCanadian

How to get refund on Canada Private Pension withheld tax with rental property return

Post by NewCanadian »

I have rental property in Canada and live in US.
I file 216 return for income from property based on NR6 approved every year.
Now I will be getting private employer pension for service in Canada which will withhold taxes.
Is there a way to get refund of private pension tax withheld using 216 return or do I need to file anything else?
nelsona

Re: How to get refund on Canada Private Pension withheld tax with rental property return

Post by nelsona »

The only way to get tax withheld from CDn pensions (which should be withheld at 15%), is to file a 217 return.

On that return you would essentially be reporting world income, and the taxrate for your pension would be determined on that basis. Typically, if you have much more than 10K other income (which would include your net Cdn rental income, and all other world income) it will not result in a lower rate than the 15% withholding rate. For the purposes of this return, you are allowed to claim some of the regular deductions and credits available to CDn resident filers.

What will be your annual pension income, and what is your annual other net income?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
NewCanadian

Re: How to get refund on Canada Private Pension withheld tax with rental property return

Post by NewCanadian »

My US income is over $200K.Canadian net rental income is $5K last year and Canadian pension income is $12K.
I want to know whether I can get some tax refund from $1800 tax against my rental loss this year.
At least I can get credit on 1040 for 15% tax in Canada.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

So the answer is no, your flat 15% CRA is final. You can cliaim the 15% Cdn tax against the US tax you pay on that pension.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
NewCanadian

Post by NewCanadian »

Thank you.
While my private service pension is withholding 15% tax, I noticed that my CPP does not appear to be withholding tax. I am not sure whether what I get is already reduced. Is there a way to find out?
The amount is small. Less than $5K since l lived in Canada for about 10 years before moving to US.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

CPP and OAS are not taxable in canada for US residents. Just report the cpp/oas as if it were social security, on your 1040.