Earning income from Canadian source while residing in US

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Girl1204

Earning income from Canadian source while residing in US

Post by Girl1204 »

I moved from Canada to the US in June. I have a L2 visa, my spouse has the L1 visa. I have not worked or received any form of income since the move.
I have an opportunity to work for my past Canadian employer while I am living in the US. My income will be in Canadian dollars and deposited to a Canadian bank account.
I am hoping that this arrangement will be set up where I am a sub-contractor working on contract, responsible for paying my own taxes. Under this arrangement I believe that due to the time I have lived in the US, over 183 days, that I will need to file and pay US taxes. As the income is derived from a Canadian source will I also be required to file and pay Canadian taxes?

If my employer does not want to go the sub-contractor route and puts me on Canadian payroll, where all deductions, including income tax, are taken at source, what are the tax implications to me then and what would I need to do?
Thank you
nelsona

Re: Earning income from Canadian source while residing in US

Post by nelsona »

Since you moved to US in June, you are resident there, and need to report income there too.

With an EAD you can work for whomever you wish.
if you become a contractor, you will not pay any CDn tax on that income. Even as a n employee, you would not pay CDn tax, since your work is being done on US soil.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D