Transferring RRSP While Non-Resident

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

DerekW

Re: Transferring RRSP While Non-Resident

Post by DerekW »

That's very helpful, thanks nelsona.

Chelavnzo, by frozen I mean they have stopped me from making any buys. I can still sell ETFs/stocks.

That's a bit unfortunate that they want you to go to Canada for this. That will be tricky for me if they ask the same. I have no plans to go to Canada until May or June. Hope Questrade will be ok with that...
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

i was able to transfer without going to Canada nor having to go to an affiliated branch in US.

It can be done remotely.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
chelavnzuo

Post by chelavnzuo »

Many thanks!

I will try again next week and see if I can speak with the right agent to help me transfer it remotely.
DerekW

Post by DerekW »

I got a hard no from TD Direct today saying that they have recently changed their rules on this issue. I wonder, nelsona, if you made the transfer before the rules changed.

My next possibility is transferring into a regular bank RRSP savings type account, which apparently might have less regulations.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

They said no to which? Opening account, or opening an account without coming to Canada.

Obviously, since them and this change recently, my transfer would have been YEARS ago, But i wouldn't simply take this rejection as fact from the person you spoke too.

Actually, banks have LESS rights to deal with US residents, since they aren't licensed at all.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
DerekW

Post by DerekW »

It was specifically it was a no to opening an RRSP investing account while a resident of US.

It seems like there may be a possibility of opening a regular savings RRSP in which you cannot trade, which is the route I'm exploring now.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

At that point you might as well cash it in. Use the money towards Roth and house in US, which is tax-free growth. Your savings account will be stagnant.
DerekW

Post by DerekW »

Yeah maybe. But if I cash it in I'm paying something like 20 to 30 % tax on it.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

yes 25%. You will always pay AT LEAST that much, whenever you take it.
DerekW

Post by DerekW »

Hey Chelavnzuo, did you ever find a bank that would let you transfer your RRSP while a non-resident? I tried three with no dice. I've basically given up at this point, but thought I'd ask if you had any breakthroughs before I start selling stocks.