ITIN application for spouse and child

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sajc

ITIN application for spouse and child

Post by sajc »

Hi

I am on TN visa and my spouse and kid are Canadian citizens. We live on the Canadian side. I applied for ITIN for both them by choosing option (a) Non resident alien required to get ITIN for tax treaty.

It got rejected as I had not entered the exception and treaty number. Can anyone guide me on how to apply for ITIN for my spouse and kid please. What option to choose and what exception/treaty if applicable.

Thank you
Saj
nelsona

Re: ITIN application for spouse and child

Post by nelsona »

You should have used G - dependant and spouse of a US non-resident (you) with a US visa (TN).
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
sajc

Re: ITIN application for spouse and child

Post by sajc »

Thank you Nelsona. On G , in instructions it says to submit "your" visa copy. So I assumed they would need my spouse visa which she does not have. Thank you I will submit it with G and copy of my Visa. Thank you again. Much appreciated.