Selling my canadian property

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

toronto2000

Selling my canadian property

Post by toronto2000 »

Hello.
I am a Canadian citizen and am currently working in the US on H1B. I started working in 2019 and and requested my non-resident status to CRA starting Jan 2020.
I have a family home in Canada where I grew up and my parents still live there with my siblings but it is under my name with a mortgage. I frequently visit the house and pay all the bills and mortgage. I have a two part question:
1. If I sell the house, will I have to pay capital gains taxes in US and Canada given that it is not a rental property, my immediate family still lives there and I visit the house on a monthly basis?
2. Secondly, If I gift that property to my parents, would that incur any taxes in US or Canada?
Thank you.
nelsona

Re: Selling my canadian property

Post by nelsona »

If the house is in your name and you don't live there, you are on the hook for gains, like for a cottage.
When you sell, the house, you will be have capital gains to pay in canada, and US. If you gift it, you will have gift tax in US and cap gains in canada.

When was the last time you lived there? That would have been the time to give it back to your parents.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D