CRA's review entitlements

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

PlatinumNeon

CRA's review entitlements

Post by PlatinumNeon »

Hi, a quick intro: American in the 4th year of CDN residence, otherwise having all my life in the US. Coming to Canada literally and solely for the purpose of being together as a family. Commuting daily. Don't get me started on the disorganized little border power trippers with reading comprehension issues....

But let's get to it -
what is CRA allowed to ask for in their review? They seem to ask the same things over from the forms that they already have on file - like T2209 (small time bureaucracy 10x worse than the IRS).

but can they ask for ALL my information slips from the US, incl the ENTIRE US tax return with all the attachments? (that seems way over the top)

Not to mention they want all US federal, state, and municipal tax returns and all associated schedules and forms, an "Account Transcript" from the IRS, and an account statement or similar document from the state and municipal tax authority and information slips (W-2, 1042-S, 1099). ?!?
btw, I kept all my US bank accounts, incl brokerage ones despite having the CDN residence (again, it's residence more-less only on paper).

Seriously?!? That is truly ridiculously and absurdly preposterous to ask for all these details. Municipal returns?!? Do I have to provide my SSN? Can I blank that out along with my account numbers and US addresses? None of their business - they can ask the IRS if they are so interested.

Also, they want a letter from my employer detailing my retirement account along with my account statement of my contributions....again, that seems extremely nosy and a little too much. I didn't have to pull that kind of detail to even have the taxes prepared!

btw, I am departing Canada (CRA's nonsense being the biggest part of it) next year, probably in the summer. Not just saying it, the arrangements are actually being made before my 5 years are up (Jan2023). - to avoid deemed disposition nonsense (for example). All at the expense of splitting the family because my spouse does not want to get scalped by CRA for having to leave Canada. Thanks Canada. Because sucking on a good net tax flow while literally providing nothing in return wasn't good enough. - end of the rant - and thank you for your answers.
nelsona

Re: CRA's review entitlements

Post by nelsona »

In short they can ask for documentation for any line of the return. Since your accounts are in US, they do nit have access to any =thing from the institution, so they ask you for it.
You certainly have the right not to disclose these items (some are reasonable). But that will result in denial of the deduction. credit, etc.

The price of freedom.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
PlatinumNeon

Re: CRA's review entitlements

Post by PlatinumNeon »

Yeah, if it was a specific single line, that would be okay by me - but their request is so generic and so involved, they are asking for literally everything - as I detailed - entire US return with ALL the attachments and forms and documentation that was not even needed to prepare the taxes themselves! hardly a single line item!