Canadian freelancer living in the US but dealing mostly with Canadian clients?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

em6543

Canadian freelancer living in the US but dealing mostly with Canadian clients?

Post by em6543 »

I am a Canadian citizen working on getting my green card so as to move permanently to the US with my husband, who has dual US-CAN citizenship. We are currently living in Canada.

My question: as a full-time freelancer, I offer translation services to Canadian clients, and I expect that for at least a few years after our move to the US, my client base will remain in Canada. How will income tax work in this particular situation? I understand that the Treaty means that I shouldn't pay taxes twice on that income, but which of the Canadian or American government will have “priority” on it?

Also, will I still need to collect GST and QST for my Canadian clients?

Thank you.
nelsona

Re: Canadian freelancer living in the US but dealing mostly with Canadian clients?

Post by nelsona »

if you work from US and do not have an office in canada, you will only be taxed in US for your work.

I'll let you read up on GST:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... dents.html
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
em6543

Re: Canadian freelancer living in the US but dealing mostly with Canadian clients?

Post by em6543 »

Thank you!