FBAR reporting requirement on joint account

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

okinawafl

FBAR reporting requirement on joint account

Post by okinawafl »

I have a joint bank account in Canada with my mom (she is canadian and leaves in Canada) with small balance.

I have RRSP in Canada over 10k so, if I file dual-resident status tax return (as US resident from Sept - Dec 2021 this year) I know I need to file FBAR to report my RRSP account and joint bank ac but is it necessary report my mom's personal information as part of reporting?

If my mom and I cancel this joint bank account before I go to US before Sept, do I still need to report this joint account in FBAR form for year 2021?
nelsona

Re: FBAR reporting requirement on joint account

Post by nelsona »

I would. FBAR is for the year. There is no harm in reporting. You have access to the account, so should report.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
okinawafl

Re: FBAR reporting requirement on joint account

Post by okinawafl »

Thanks nelsona.