Restricted stock of a private new US corporation

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Domeani

Restricted stock of a private new US corporation

Post by Domeani »

Hello,

I was looking for advice on receiving restricted stock from a US private corp as a Canadian citizen/resident through an EIP (equity incentive plan) over 3 years.

Corp is bootstrapped and at seed round stage. Not currently working for them but after seed round likely to become an independent contractor or use a PEO/EOR.

Rough scenario (numbers not accurate and just to figure out calcs):
-bought 1000 shares at $0.01/share (offer to join)
-bought 1000 shares at $1/share (investment/bootstrap on inside round)
-year 1,2,3 vest in 1000 shares each year
-at the end of year 3 I’ll have 5000 shares

Question:
What are the tax implications of the vesting?
1) The shares are totally illiquid so rational for $0 of income.
2) $3000 income in year 1
or
3) 1000 shares x FMV (how is that determined if illiquid?) each year. Year 1 would be $1000 but what if the seed round move the share price to $10? Is year 2 then $10k income.

Found this https://www.blg.com/en/insights/2021/01 ... plications but did not find it clear on restricted stock. In the US people file their 83(b)’s and declare $3k income in year one.

Thank you for any insights
Domeani

Re: Restricted stock of a private new US corporation

Post by Domeani »

Hello,

I'm still quite interested on this topic. Only thing I find that is similar as a question when searching on the web is this https://www.justanswer.com/canada-tax/a ... rants.html Does anyone have suggestions where to find answers on such matters? or have any experience/knowledge themselves? Thank you.