Advance Child Tax credit info

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nelsona

Advance Child Tax credit info

Post by nelsona »

Many Cdn residents who file a US tax return have received for many years the annual child tax credit on their 1040.

You may have thought that you would now get the monthly credit deposited to your bank account. But, unless you have a main home in the US, you are not eligible to receive the monthly advance. This was a stipulation the the law that created the Advance Payment. It caught me by surprise this week. That requirement was not part of the Stimulus payments, so even if you got those without any problem while living in Canada, it does not mean you get the Advance CTC.

One will, of course, still be entitled to claim the credit on their US tax return, and receive it after filing.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
bandana

Re: Advance Child Tax credit info

Post by bandana »

Interesting.

Filed a 1040NR with Canadian address claiming the tax credit for dual-citizen minor daughter. I am not a US citizen. Provided US bank account details, but did not receive the July payment. Now I understand why.

But does it mean that I can claim the full refundable credit for my daughter with a 1040NR for 2021 which I will file next April?
nelsona

Re: Advance Child Tax credit info

Post by nelsona »

The rules on the child tax credit change every year, as we just saw. If you were able to claim it in 2020 on your 1040NR, you should probably be able to clim it in 2021. But in the past only 1040 filers were eligible. See the 1040NR rules when they come out.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D