the exact date of change of residency

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

pokka

the exact date of change of residency

Post by pokka »

I am a US citizen. I recently moved from the US to Canada for a new job.

I did not resign from my US job (which has been remote this last year) until the end of my 14 day quarantine while in Canada.
My Canadian job offer started on my first day out of quarantine.

Is it legitimate for me to designate my first day out of quarantine as my first day of residence in Canada (for tax purposes).
The CRA website says that it is "generally" the day of entry into Canada, but these are special times. If it is relevant, the quarantine was in a hotel,
and only after that did I move into my long term rental.

I think it will be much cleaner if I don't have to get Canada and foreign tax credits involved with my last 14 days of US income, if that is legal.
nelsona

Re: the exact date of change of residency

Post by nelsona »

Since you did not have an "abode" until you moved to your rental, that would indded be the definite date of residency, special times or not.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
pokka

Re: the exact date of change of residency

Post by pokka »

Thank you!