How to calculate capital gains on Canadian Rental Property ("plus 1" formula or FMV method?)

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

szbjsh

How to calculate capital gains on Canadian Rental Property ("plus 1" formula or FMV method?)

Post by szbjsh »

I bought my principal residence in 2018 when I was a resident of Canada. In 2021, it was turned into a rental property (I did not and don't plan to claim CCA). I have also left Canada in 2021 and became a non-resident (am a US resident). I plan to move back into this property in the future once I move back to Canada permanently.

I have seen two methods to calculate capital gains:

Method 1) "plus 1" formula for exemption: (# of years home is principal residence + 1) x capital gain/ # of years home is owned;

Method 2) FMV has to be tracked every time change of use occurs. The difference between the two FMVs is the capital gain.

My questions are:

A. does being a non-resident make only method 1 available to me? If so, where I can find the guidance on CRA website that stipulates this?

B. if one stays a Canadian resident the entire time, which method do they use? Both are available?

Thanks!