Capital gain tax on deemed disposition returning to Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

lilylam

Capital gain tax on deemed disposition returning to Canada

Post by lilylam »

I am a Canadian non-resident working overseas, bought an investment property during this period. Now I am planning to return to Canada and will change the rental property to Principle residence. There is some price appreciation. I understand there will be a deemed disposition and re-acquisition of the property when I use it as a principal residence. So I will incur capital gain tax liability due to this deemed disposition. Do I need to pay the tax in the year of change of use? I understand there is election 45(3) which allows the tax payer to defer when actual sales occur. I wonder whether it is applicable to non-resident Canadian to elect to defer the tax payment? Thanks.
szbjsh

Re: Capital gain tax on deemed disposition returning to Canada

Post by szbjsh »

Since you will return to Canada and become a resident, 45(3) will be made when you are resident? You are not a non-resident anymore once you return and use it as principal residence. Btw, is it hard to get a mortgage on the property as a non-resident? I am a non-resident too, and am looking for an investment property in Canada also so wanted to know your mortgage application experience.
lilylam

Post by lilylam »

You are right Section 45(3) could be filed when actual selling the property. As to the mortgage, just save hard and have a big down payment, the Canadian bank will need 3 years notice of assessment from your local tax authority before approving the mortgage.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As long as you did not CCA the property while you were out of the country, you can elect to defer the cap gains on change of use. As was mentioned, your election will occur when you are a resident of Canada (a non-resident can't have a Principal residence in Canada)
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
lilylam

Post by lilylam »

Thank you for your explanation. I claimed CCA, so I think I can't defer the capital gain tax.