Dual Canadian & U.S Residency Question

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nodnud

Dual Canadian & U.S Residency Question

Post by nodnud »

Hey All,

I am an Australian citizen who has been living in Canada since 2016. I became a Canadian Permanent Resident in September 2020, and maintain my principal residence (owned property) in Calgary, Alberta. I work for a U.S company and spend quite a bit of time down in the U.S on an L1-A visa as part of position.

My company has filed for my U.S Green Card (Employer sponsored) which has been delayed significantly due to the COVID impacts.

I continue to be employed by our Canadian entity and remain on Canadian payroll.

Given I've spent over 183 days in the U.S, my company's international accounting firm typically files a resident tax return for me on both sides (Canada and the U.S).

Can I maintain a position of "dual" residency in both Canada and the U.S remembering I have not been issued my Green Card yet? My goal would be to file for Canadian Citizenship as soon as I am eligible.

Thanks!
nelsona

Re: Dual Canadian & U.S Residency Question

Post by nelsona »

Yes, a Cdn resident can ALWAYS file a US resident tax return, if it is beneficial. For citizenship remember that it is not merely tax residence that counts, it is days of physical presence in canada that allows you to apply for Cdn citizenship or not.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D