Canadian Contractor for US company; am I a PSB?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

tommer

Canadian Contractor for US company; am I a PSB?

Post by tommer »

Hi,

I'm a Canadian citizen but have been living and working in the US under a TN visa for the last 5 years. I am relocating to Canada this summer, and will become an independent contractor contracted by my former employer. My employer mandated this, as they do not want to establish a tax presence in Canada.

I plan to incorporate, and am trying to figure out if my corporation will be considered a Personal Service Business by the CRA.

Some facts that I think are pertinent:

- I will provide my own equipment and working space (I'm a software engineer, and will work from home).
- I have a contract that explicitly states that I'm not an employee, and have no obligation to work any set hours.

I've spoken to an accountant who advised me that I'm likely *not* a PSB because my client is not a Canadian corporation, but I'm interested to hear if others agree with that assessment. I've so far failed to find discussion of a similar situation.

Thanks in advance for any insight you're able to offer.

Tom