Dual Citizen, Canadian brokerage issue 2 sets of tax slips..

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

dualblues

Dual Citizen, Canadian brokerage issue 2 sets of tax slips..

Post by dualblues »

Thanks for your consideration.

Background:

Dual citizen returning to Canada. For my non-registered brokerage needs, I currently use Interactive Brokerage and Vanguard. My plan was to use Interactive Brokerage Canada when I return. Their fees are cheap and provide cheap currency exchange.

I read in "America In Canada" that some Canadian brokerages will issue 2 sets of tax slips (T5 and 1099) if your account is labelled as a "US Account".

US citizens shouldn't have withholding imposed on American sourced income since it is taxable on 1040. However, it is my understanding that most Canadian brokerages still with-hold (as though you were not a US person).

Question:

Is there a discount brokerage in Canada that gets these things right? (Provides 2 sets of tax slips and is well versed in with-holding for US persons)? Recommendations for similar experience to that of major US brokers.

Thanks!
readmylips_nonewtaxs

Re: Dual Citizen, Canadian brokerage issue 2 sets of tax slips..

Post by readmylips_nonewtaxs »

I called around about this same issue and apparently Qtrade Investor doesn't have any withholdings when they have a W-9 on file for US citizens. I was also told that there no with holdings for their TFSA and that they issue 1099's for the TFSA. I have not verified this, but this is what they told me on the telephone.