USD ETFs in Canadian brokerage and T1135

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Jonhello

USD ETFs in Canadian brokerage and T1135

Post by Jonhello »

When I eventually move to Canada, I will move my brokerage to a Canadian brokerage but still invest in USD ETFs as I am a US citizen. the account will be above 250,000 in CAD.

So will I need to do the long version of T1135 and also include my US bank account that I will keep open. Is this correct?
Jonhello

Re: USD ETFs in Canadian brokerage and T1135

Post by Jonhello »

Also... I understand that taxpayers get a first year exemption from filing their T1135 in the first year they become a tax resident of Canada. Is that correct?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You can look up the rules on T1135 for what is included. But you DO need to produce a T1135 in your first year.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Jonhello

Post by Jonhello »

I was tinkering around in Simple Tax with hypotheticals and when I tried to put in T1135 for the first year, it stated "NEWCOMERS TO CANADA: You don't need to file a T1135 since you immigrated this year. Please remove this section from your return."

So I dug around in the rules at canada.ca and this is what they state:

"What is the reporting requirement for new immigrants? How is the cost amount determined for property that was owned at the time of immigration to Canada?
An individual does not have to file Form T1135 for the tax year in which he or she first became resident in Canada. For a new resident, the cost amount of foreign property is its fair market value at the time he or she first became resident in Canada. Use this fair market value in determining the new resident's Form T1135 filing requirement in future years."

It seems they may have made this exception recently.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Indeed. Thanks for the info.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
depreciationrecapture

Post by depreciationrecapture »

I wanted to confirm that anytime we invest in a US ETF (in USD) even when held in Canadian brokerage, it is to be reported on T1135?
What about US Dollars held in a Canadian bank?

This is assuming the aggregate totals to more than 100k.