Deducting individual contributions to US HSA from Canadian Income Tax

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

johnnyappleseed

Deducting individual contributions to US HSA from Canadian Income Tax

Post by johnnyappleseed »

A majority of my HSA contributions were made through my employer and thus deducted from my W2. However, I contributed some with after-tax money that I'm able to write off on the US, but am wondering what the procedure for doing that is when filing my Canadian resident tax return. Do I just not include it in my US income (line 10400) or do I have to specifically deduct it somewhere?
nelsona

Re: Deducting individual contributions to US HSA from Canadian Income Tax

Post by nelsona »

Neither the portion withheld at work, nor the contribution you made is deductible, so just add back the amount withheld from your pay to your wages. Nothing need be done about the self-contribution. You will just report it on the 1040 line for self-contributions.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D