CRA Supplemental Guidance, section VII cross-border workers

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nelsona

Re: CRA Supplemental Guidance, section VII cross-border workers

Post by nelsona »

So, you are simply a commuter. You will end up paying Cdn/Prov tax as well as cali tax. Yikes.
I am taking my usual break from this site until May. Always too many tax-form specific questions at this time of year...
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Search previous posts. Happy Browsing :D
elgoog

Post by elgoog »

As you mentioned, the call to "come home" was for Canadians and since I am a Canadian citizen who was working in the US on a TN work permit, that applies to me.

Regarding tax obligations, you are right that I will end up paying federal & state tax in the US as I previously was and I will claim it as foreign credit in Canada.

On a side note, do you know what is the definition of commuter by CRA rules? Is there a defined threshold as to how frequently you need to be going back and forth? Or is it that you are considered a commuter if you maintain a permanent home in Canada and travel to the US routinely for work?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Anyone living in Canada and working in US is a commuter.

The call to come home was for Cdn residents on vacation. You said you lived in Cali. No Cdn gov't would tell a foreign resident to quit their job in US. Be serious.
I am taking my usual break from this site until May. Always too many tax-form specific questions at this time of year...
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Search previous posts. Happy Browsing :D
elgoog

Post by elgoog »

Fair enough.

Thanks for the help, Nelsona.