Petition for Canadians working remotely for USA due to COVID

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sjantzi

Petition for Canadians working remotely for USA due to COVID

Post by sjantzi »

I apologize if this isnt appropriate for this forum. This is a petition passed on to me from my MP's office for those effected by the tax implications of having to work remotely due to the border closure. The petition is asking for immediate action for those effected.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Peti ... ion=e-3272
Josephvarkey

Re: Petition for Canadians working remotely for USA due to COVID

Post by Josephvarkey »

Thanks for the petition link. I also Signed. But NOT sure, if it will have any impact :(

I called the MP's(Mr.Brian Masse- Windsor) and they don't have an update yet.

But, my tax preparer has already filed WITHOUT adjusting the Canadian withholdings(as usual like last year using the treaty article 25..). He is saying that will NOt be an issue. That worries me. Probably, I'll do an amendment by going to a different tax preparer service who will file 1040NR based on the Covid Canadian witholding situation(Don't want penalties , interest etc). On a Side NOte, myself moved to the US city (without my family) to avoid this tax situation for 2021 as I'll be filing as Resident.

Sleepless and Anxious..
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The issue is not whetherr you are US resident or not, it is where yoyu are performing the work.

In any event, despite what the petition claims, CRA made it quite clear last fall, that commuters and others that were stuck WORKING in canada would still have to pay their primary tax on that portion if their income to Canada. This is in the trwaty. So there is little the Cdn govt can do about it at this point.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Josephvarkey

Post by Josephvarkey »

[quote=nelsona post_id=525492 time=1617206844 user_id=30]
The issue is not whetherr you are US resident or not, it is where yoyu are performing the work.

In any event, despite what the petition claims, CRA made it quite clear last fall, that commuters and others that were stuck WORKING in canada would still have to pay their primary tax on that portion if their income to Canada. This is in the trwaty. So there is little the Cdn govt can do about it at this point.
[/quote]

Thanks Nelsona as always :)